Benefit ride for Theresa, 10-20-2007

bikes gathered at kung fu tap and taco for benefit ride

Photo above: a stitched-together panorama of the bikes gathered at Kung Fu Tap & Taco.
Click here for the full album!

This was a near-perfect day in so many ways. After last weekend’s Toy Run rainout, I was anxious to see what the weather would have in store for Theresa’s benefit ride. I needn’t have worried – our high for the day was in the upper 70’s, with a beautiful bright blue sky. This in late October, in Iowa! The ride was scheduled to begin around 11 a.m. at Big Barn Harley Davidson, where Theresa works in the Warranty Service department. We arrived shortly after 10 a.m. to find there were already around 100 bikes gathered. By 11 that number had doubled and they were still coming in, so the ride start was bumped to Noon. Eventually I think they had almost 300 bikes and probably 500+ people.

Around Noon the bikes started leaving, and we made a very impressive and continuous mile-long column traveling down 2nd Avenue toward downtown Des Moines. (If you’ve never been in such a column, I don’t know how to describe the feeling. But it can be a little emotional realizing that all these people are gathered for the same big-hearted purpose.) Bikes in the lead blocked intersections so we could pass through as a group without worrying about cross traffic. (Probably illegal but what the hell… we’re bad-ass bikers, we’re supposed to do shit like this!) As we approached Downtown, traffic got a little heavier and around Court Avenue there were lots of pedestrians – the Farmer’s Market had just closed, and lots of those patrons were standing around watching us pass, some taking pictures or shooting video. There was a police officer at 3rd & Court who held off the cross-traffic there for us to pass through the intersection as a group.

Just south of the Iowa Cubs triple-A baseball stadium, we turned and headed toward the home of Theresa’s sister Vicki, theresa greeting visitorswhere T is recuperating. Family members had arranged for T to be outside when everyone arrived – I’m not sure they were expecting quite so many of us! All those bikes took up probably two full blocks! After a short benediction and opportunity for as many as possible to meet and greet Theresa, we took off again, this time for the Kung Fu Tap a few blocks away.

The stop at Kung Fu was really just an opportunity for us to hang out while Theresa’s family helped transport her to the site of the actual pot luck dinner waiting for us at the end of the ride. We were there long enough to enjoy a beverage and then the group took off again.

Our final stop was the clubhouse of the El Foresteros. This is an old-school motorcycle club; these are the folks who actually hosted the ride and dinner. They certainly don’t normally open up their clubhouse to the general public – it’s a members-only gathering spot. I for one appreciated their hospitality and willingness to let non-members show their support for our mutual friend.

As for T herself – she’s doing pretty well but still has a long recovery ahead. I wish her the very best, and I’m really pleased to have been part of such a great turn-out for this event!

Comments

11 Responses to “Benefit ride for Theresa, 10-20-2007”
    1. holly says:

Would love to access the photo album but it says need an id and password? Help!

2. BikerChick says:

Hey please try that link again… I re-did it so hopefully it’s correct… thanks! J.

3. carole says:

T’s ride was awesome for all who attended. We had a beautiful day with glorious blue skies, great company, and an even greater cause to support T. Thanks to everyone who worked so diligently putting it all together along with the El Forasteros for opening their club house and Big Barn for their hospitality to a large group of bikers. We love you, T!!!

4. holly says:

Everyone’s turn out and support of this benefit was AMAZING and greatly appreciated! Julie at Big Barn and the gals from the Biker Assistance Fund worked so hard to put this all together! Many thanks to them for organzing and to everyone who made donations of raffle items, food etc! A big thanks to the El Forasteros for opening the clubhouse and hosting a wonderful dinner & party! The guys really went above and beyond to make this a success!
      Special thanks to the band, Full Throttle, who donated their afternoon and musical talent so we could dance and have a good time!
      It truly makes you understand when people talk about the brotherhood of bikers!

5. holly says:

Update on T – Just visited with her…she went to the dr yesterday and while she is healing, it is extremely slow and they told her to continue doing what she’s been doing..nothing more. She was a little down about this as she hoped her healing would be further along and she could start doing more therapy. Plus, she’s getting just a little bored…as you can well imagine!
      She did come out on the website and checked the entry for the ride so if you want to send her good wishes, she’s reading them. She thanks everyone for all their support and prayers during this time.

6. Theresa "T" says:

Thank you all and God Bless each and every one of you. There is not enough thank you’s in the world that I could use to thank every one who helped and contributed to my family and I. The benefit ride had one of the biggest turn outs I have ever seen at any benefit I have ever attended. I have to say it felt wonderful being the guest of honor, I felt like the queen of the day. I want you all to know I truly appreciate everything every one has and are still doing for me and my kids.

My kids were overwhelmed with all the love and support we were shown that day. My kids use to always say, “Mom every where we go, you know someone. How many friends or people do you know?” I would always tell them that I have a lot of good friends. That was proven the day of the benefit. I want my kids to always know that it’s great having lots of friends and just meeting new people.

“Thank you very much for helping my mom and us!” From Robby, Heather, and Taylor

I have five more weeks of full restrictions so I still won’t be out and about. My healing is slow but the good thing is that I am healing. The doctors say I need to be patient because I have so many fractures. I am to rest, be patient, and wait for healing time. This is very hard but I know what I need to do to heal and get better.

My heart is full of love for all of you and I’ll never be able to say thank you enough. So when you see me or I see you, I will want to personally thank you and hug every one of you. So to all my biker brothers and sisters, “Thank you all and I will be waiting for all my hugs from you personally when we see each other again”.

I want to give a special thanks to those who put everything together. Just to name a few; Julie, El Fastero’s, and BAF, with the deepest gratitude and biker love there is-“T”

From the deepest of my heart,

Love, Theresa “T” Aguiniga

7. BikerChick says:

It’s SO wonderful to see you here, T – I am thinking of you daily, as are we all. God bless, girl, hope to see you soon!!
      Love,
      Janet

8. Tom says:

Hey Biker Chick.. sup~!
      Here in St. Louis.. we keep up on your news frequently and enjoy your writing.

Just wanted to give you an FYI.. regarding an older entry but thought it of importance to show respect to the club. There is a typo on your page from 10-20-07 T’s ride. ” Our final stop was the clubhouse of the El Foresteros. ” S/B El Fastero’s

Keep up the good work..
      TMFK

9. BikerChick says:

Tom, hey meant to address this sooner. First off, thanks for reading here – glad to have you stop by! And, I’ve been meaning to try to verify the spelling of the MC group, but have not had a chance to do so. I will fact-check and post the results here. Thanks for the heads-up!

10. None says: