Toy Run 2008

by on October 13, 2008
in Iowa Rides

Well as you know it has been a long and difficult summer for this biker chick – but, we did make sure to take part in the 2008 Toys for Tots Toy Run sponsored by ABATE District 4 here in Des Moines. The ride was held October 12.

Last year, cold/rainy weather kept a lot of folks away from this event – but this year, it was a beautiful if slightly overcast Sunday. I keep saying I’m not a good judge when it comes to estimating crowds, but there HAD to be 2,000 bikes at this thing. At one point when the group was traveling down E. 14th St., there were three entire columns – two in the left lane and one in the right – as far ahead and behind me as I could see.

We traveled from the State Capitol down E. 14th to Army Post Road, then simply turned into the Eagles Lodge just south of Army Post. It was an easy ride – the hardest part is always at the beginning, when the entire group leaves the Capitol and tries to get into formation.

The neatest thing about the ride, other than the sheer size of it, is that it’s escorted by the Des Moines Police Department – they block every stoplight intersection along the route to allow the column to remain intact for the duration of the ride. And of course, the donation of a toy to the Toys for Tots program created by the US Marine Corps makes you feel like you’re riding for a good reason.

As for me, it was great to be out on the bike again. This wasn’t the kind of cruise that clears your head – too big a crowd for that – but it was great to meet up with folks we hadn’t seen for most of the summer. Our daughter even went along for the ride, and she’s almost 15 – much too cool to be hanging out with her parents, so we were honored that she joined us!

Comments

8 Responses to “Toy Run 2008”
    1. Cassie says:

I did hear from another member of the HOG group say it was estimated at 4600 bikes there. Not sure if someone counted them as they were leaving the capital or what. Anyway this was Cuddles and I first toy run, but you can bet it won’t be our last. I even got to see some people I haven’t seen in over a year. What a privilage that was.. Hope to see you and Steve again soon..

Cuddles and Cassie

2. BikerChick says:

Hey Cassie, nice to see you and Cuddles yesterday – WOW, I had not heard 4600 bikes! (Guess I really AM a bad judge of crowd size… I keep saying 2,000…) That’s awesome – I do wonder if anyone does an official count?? Hope to see you again soon – Janet

3. Of course…you and I were in the same place and we didn’t meet up! DARN IT! This was my first toy run too and it was an amazing experience!

Glad you were able to join in some fun this riding season! I know you’ve been through it! Hope things are finally beginning to turn around!

iowaharleygirls last blog post..Sweet Euphoria

4. BikerChick says:

Steph – it figures!! I thought about you, and wondered if you were there… isn’t the Toy Run awesome? It’s amazing to look ahead and behind and see a continuous column of bikes. Are you guys HOG members by any chance? I have one meeting left as New Member Ambassador and will be attending the Christmas Party in December… hopefully we’ll get to meet one of these days! Thanks… Janet

5. Laura says:

I sure enjoy reading what you have to say about our toy run. What a fabulous right up on our event. I have to agree what an amazing experience! There is nothing like over 2000 bikes revving up to donate for the kids. I do have to correct you on one thing. We donate all of our toys and cash donations to the children in Dallas, Polk and Warren Counties. Toys For Tots is a fine organization but not to be confused with ABATE District 4’s Toy Run. We are two separate organizations.

Thank you for your support.
      Laura

6. Laura, my apologies for any confusion and mis-information. I thought our toys were donated to Toys for Tots through the ABATE Toy Run, which is why I mentioned Toys for Tots in my post. If that’s not part of the event, please do let me know – I’m happy to correct any incorrect info! Thanks – Janet

Janet – BikerChicks last blog post..Toy Run 2008

7. Becky Daugherty says:

I am so glad Laura turned me on to this website! It’s fantastic!! As 2008 & now 2009 (& several past yrs.)ABATE of IOWA, D#4 Toy Run Chairperson,it is great to see the word getting out about our Toy Run. It gets bigger each yr., thanks to people like you. I would like to add that even if the weather is nasty, we encourage people to still join us in cars, trucks, bikes, etc. Even tough it is nice to ride, the kids still need toys for Christmas!!!!
      Thanks!

8. BikerChick says:

Becky, thanks for stopping by to read and comment – glad to have you hear! The Toy Run has been one of my favorite events for a long time – you all do a great job! ~ Janet