Gunning for a helmet law in ’08

by on November 8, 2007
in Other news

Oh boy, here we go – I’m betting we’re in for a helmet law here in Iowa in 2008. How do you ride, with or without? Should they be mandatory? C’mon, let’s hear it!

Comments

9 Responses to “Gunning for a helmet law in ’08”
    1. Kristin says:

I have one but don’t always wear it. I think that this is just another individual decision that the government has no business to be messing in. I can see that in some cases a helmet could save lives, but it should be left up to the individual to wear one or not. More people are dying in this war than on motorcycles, maybe they should concentrate on that.

2. Thumper says:

I ride with a full face helmet and wouldn’t consider riding without…but I fully support someone else’s right to ride topless, as long as they have medical coverage…’cause they just might survive bouncing their noggin on the asphalt…

3. In MA, where I live, we have a helmet law. I frequently ride in NH, where there is no helmet law and promptly pull my helmet off when I hit the state line. I would probably keep my helmet on in busy traffic areas but when I’m joy riding on the windy scenic roads or cruising the beach I wouldn’t.

4. carole aka pinky says:

I feel that it should be the right of individuals to decide whether or not to wear a helmet. I own three helmets and wear one when it is raining, cold, or if I am riding on a busy interstate. Other times I feel like riding with the wind hitting me in the face and feel free to do so. It should not be up to the government to tell me how to ride. I feel they are in our business enough already!

5. BikerChick says:

I appreciate everyone weighing in. I will be very interested to see what happens in the coming legislative session! ~ Janet

6. I ride with, and always have, and probably always will. There are times when I’ve ridden without, but only when crossing, say, a parking lot. It’s a nice feeling but not one that I would take for granted. I crashed today, actually, and a helmet would have neither helped nor hindered, as far as I can tell.

I think that it’s an individual choice.

7. holly says:

I wear a full face when it is raining or cold. I think it should be up to the individual. Actually more people die from blunt chest trauma from hitting the handle bars & pavement. Should the gov’t also force us to wear chest protectors? As adults we should have the right to make our own decision regarding helmets. We have enough laws & regulations already that we have to live with! The gov’t needs to step out and do something about more pressing issues…like drunk drivers!!!

8. gina says:

I have riden my own H.D. on the interstate 0f this great country for 17 years. I have riden 500 miles out of the way to avoided helmet states. I choose to sopport places were my personal freedoms are not without merit to the people who make up our laws.. IKnow that one day the goverment will take away this right to chose as they take other right of choice from the people it affects, I live in Kansas where if you are over 18 years if age it is achoice. I think that if people want to ride free without the goverment telling them what they should be doing, they should take more notice of the politices and the politicans that make their laws…